Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why Internal Medicine annoys me. (and why I am a family doctor instead)

1. Excessive pontification leading to 4 hour rounds.
2. Excessive testing resulting from excessive pontification.
3. Too much intellectual masturbation. (please see excessive pontification). Let's all do the ego stroke....
4. Inability to talk TO the patient, not AT the patient.
5. The lack of DOING anything that involves a scalpel, or needle.
6. Let me repeat, the LACK OF DOING ANYTHING.

10 comments:

Sara said...

Haaaaaa I totally agree.

Here, the family med residency has one year of internal med...that they do in a one year block (not a few months each year). I seriously am considering NOT doing it (going to another country or specialty instead) just because I do not think I could take one year of that. God.

gabbiana said...

My resident was shocked yesterday when the medicine team up and did a lumbar puncture on a patient instead of waiting for us to do it. SHOCKED.

So yeah, I know.

Stephanie said...

i see...

Sara said...

Where do you hide a $20 bill from an internist?


Under a bandage!

afreakforjc said...

intellectual mastubation. very true.

OMDG said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Shit, I have to do an IM sub-i.

:-P

Resident Anesthesiologist Guy (RAG) said...

New reader, like what I'm seeing. Thought I'd weigh in here:

In the VA system the ER is covered by IM uppers and fellows. Some will do minor procedures, but when I was on call for 3 surgical teams I've been paged to do ridiculous crap. Like draining some pinky abscess that took 2 seconds (though actually gathering the materials took a lot longer, they apparently hide scalpels). I've had to suture a 1 inch cut that had already started to scab over. My clinic is overrun with draining abscesses, seeing pts with falls and hurting their head (80 year olds who fall, hit their head, and have LOC should NOT come to a clinic from the ER). All because the IM residents won't or don't know how to do procedures.

Elysium said...

Hilarious... and so true.

Anonymous said...

must be the wrong residency... all we did was procedures I can put in a central line in my sleep I have done so many. and now in practice I can pop a sebaceous cyst at 10 feet. so not sure where you are training but here in the south IM's do it all!!

Axis said...

I don't know about the "lack of doing anything" (otherwise we wouldn't admit the vast majority of pts in the hospital), but...we DO round forever. It is completely miserable.