Friday, June 5, 2009

Snapshot of Jail

It is 8:00am, I open the foodport located at the bottom of the 2 feet thick door of a cell at the County jail.

I peer into the cell. Unfortunately, because of the way the food port is situated and the way the patient is standing, I get an excellent view of his penis and testicles.

Yes, the patient (a flabby elderly man arrested for indecent exposure) is naked.

And yes, there IS a stale, dank odor wafting my way through the open foodport.

"MOTHERFUCKING BITCH, FUCK YOU ALL.", shouts the patient.

"Sir," i say, "that's not a nice thing to say. Why don't we talk about what's been going on?"

"FUCK YOU. I'M GOING TO SUCK YOUR BABY'S DICK," he screams through the door. A dribble of saliva slides down the corner of his mouth.

I decide to move on to my next patient. My next patient is a young woman, also naked, and also manic. She is currently squatting on the floor of her cell with her hand stuck down into her toilet. I hear water sloshing around the toilet bowl and I ALSO see bits of dark nuggety things (unmistakably poop) floating around.

I found it, she yells, holding up a squished dark brown nuggety thing.

At this point, I pointedly back away and head out of cell area for a much needed coffee break. And it's only 8:30.

7 comments:

sara said...

Why do manic/psychotic patients end up in JAIL?

afreakforjc said...

that is a frickin awesome story! And now I'm going to go vomit...

OMDG said...

Welcome back to work!

Nothing said...

Ok, so I know someone has to do it but it wasn't going to be me. I honestly believe I would have resigned from my residency if I had to see that lady. You're a better person than me.

Stephanie said...

^---- should be "better person than I."

Anonymous said...

^ Yeah, my bad.

TAV said...

serena, your blog is hilarious. can i be your next stalker? :)